24+ Advanced Learning Loans have been introduced by the UK government for learners aged 24 and over studying at Level 3, Level 4 or Advanced and Higher Apprenticeships from 1 August 2013.
Am I eligible for a 24+ Advanced Learning Loan?
To be eligible for one of these loans you must:
• be aged 24 or over at the start of your course;
• be undertaking an eligible course at an approved college or training organisation in England.
See below for more details on which type of courses are eligible. Your college or training organisation will be able to confirm exactly which courses are eligible and if they’re an approved organisation.
• be living in the UK on the first day of your course
• have been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years immediately
before starting your course
• be a UK national or have ‘settled status’ (this means there’s no restrictions on how long you
can stay). You may also be eligible if you:
– are an EU national or a family member of one
– are a refugee
– have humanitarian protection (as a result of a failed application for asylum)
– are a migrant worker
– are the child of a Swiss national
– are the child of a Turkish worker
Does getting a loan depend on my income or credit history?
No. Getting a loan doesn’t depend on your income and credit checks aren’t carried out. Repayments are based on your income and won’t begin until your income is over £404 a week,
£1,750 a month or £21,000 a year.
Is there an upper age limit for someone applying for a loan?
No. There’s no upper age limit.
Which qualifications and Apprenticeship Frameworks can I get a loan for?
You’ll need to be doing a Level 3 or Level 4 qualification or an Advanced or Higher Apprenticeship which is approved for public funding. Level 3 and Level 4 qualifications include A Levels, Access to HE Diplomas and other Diplomas and Certificates. These loans don’t cover Degrees or other forms of Higher Education where separate student support arrangements exist.
Diaspora currently has the following courses approved for loans:
Diploma in Healthcare
Diploma in Childcare
Supporting teaching & Learning (TA)
Can I still apply for a loan for a qualification that’s not approved for public funding?
No. Only qualifications approved for public funding are eligible for loans.
If you want to undertake a qualification that’s not eligible for a loan then you’d need to agree another method of funding the course with the college or training organisation.
Call Diaspora on 0203 659 5251 to find out when you can go and apply the loan. You need to have your loan approved before the course start